HANDMADE IN RWANDA
Add soft woven textures and accents complement hard surfaces in your kitchen.
Our utensil holders use the intricately dyed colors of sisal fiber to bring a soft accent to the metals and hard surfaces in your kitchen. Use as a holder for all your serving and cooking utensils or as a decorative bin for hand towels. It can be adapted to all your individual needs! Like to change your kitchen towels for holidays or seasons? No problem! There are tons of different color options.
- Approximately 7” W x 6” H
- Fair trade, Nest Seal of Transparency
- Made in Rwanda
- Products are made from all natural fibers of sisal and sweetgrass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the sisal
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
*All products are made by hand with love and vary slightly in color and size.
Made of the highest quality natural sisal fibers in an ethical, fair trade environment. Sisal is wound stitch by stitch around a small sweet grass bundle. Handwoven by a woman in remote regions of Rwanda.
- Made of natural fibers and grass; do not submerge in water.
- If necessary, use a damp cloth to wipe or spot clean the basket.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
Sun and fading
- Due to being all natural fibers, keep dyed products out of direct sunlight for long periods of time to avoid natural fading.
- All natural products with little or no coloring do well in direct sunlight.
Meaning & Purpose
With a storied reputation for the finest basket weaving, Rwandan women have passed this skill from the hands of mothers to the hands of daughters for centuries. With multiple purposes, uses, and designs, these baskets are more than just tools for Rwandans. They are ornaments, heirlooms, art, gifts, symbols of culture, pieces of tradition, and embodiments of friendship. They are a source of pride for the nation as well as a livelihood for thousands. In many ways, baskets are deeply tied to the identity of Rwanda.