HANDMADE IN GHANA
Need a globally inspired reboot? Our wall plates are just for you!
These beautifully intricate wall plates are designed to enhance and magnify any room. Leave it alone as a stand-alone piece or pair with other plates or bowls and your room will magically transform. Match to your throw pillows in your living room or bed set in your bedroom, each of these breathtaking designs was made with courage and heart by a woman in rural Ghana. She hand-stitched a loop on the back of each basket so you too, can enjoy this piece easily on your wall.
- Approximately 23” D x 3” H
- Fair Trade, Nest Seal of Transparency
- Made in Ghana
- Products are made of elephant grass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the grass
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
*These delicately textured and handcrafted woven baskets were made by groups of women in intimate communities in the Bolgatanga region of Ghana in an ethical, fair trade environment.
- To clean or re-shape your basket, simply wet it with cool water, shape it as needed, and allow it to air dry.
- The basket should be watered once a year to hydrate the straw and keep it supple.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
Meaning & Purpose
The material used for weaving in Bolgatanga is elephant grass, this grass is only available in the southern part of Ghana, Kumasi to be precise. The grasses are harvested and dried up, a process which might take up to three (3) days. It is then tied together in big bundles and transported to the Bolga markets. This is where most of the weavers buy their raw materials. The straw grass is further processed before weaving begins.
- Straw is collected and splitted then rolled/twisted for texture.
- Straw is dyed to give a vibrant color before weaving begins.