HANDMADE AFRICAN BASKET from RWANDA
Organizing and serving bread have never felt so good and so easy!
These oval baskets were once designed with serving bread as bread baskets for families in mind, but since then have taken on the most useful and functional roles in our homes. You can also use this oval basket to store all of those pesky remotes inside, catch all of your unopened mail on your entryway furniture, use for accessories on your bathroom vanity, or store all of your cards and stationery supplies.
- Approximately 11.5” L x 7” W x 3” H
- Fair Trade
- Made in Rwanda
- Products are made from all natural fibers of sisal and sweetgrass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the sisal
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
- Food safe for serving
*All products are made by hand with love and vary slightly in color and size.
Made of the highest quality natural sisal fibers in an ethical, fair trade environment. Sisal is wound stitch by stitch around a small sweet grass bundle. Handwoven by a woman in remote regions of Rwanda.
- Made of natural fibers and grass; do not submerge in water.
- If necessary, use a damp cloth to wipe or spot clean the basket.
- After serving bread or other dried foods, turn the product upside down: shake and tap to release crumbs and residue.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
Sun and fading
- Due to being all natural fibers, keep dyed products out of direct sunlight for long periods of time to avoid natural fading.
- All natural products with little or no coloring do well in direct sunlight.
Meaning & Purpose
One weaver, Egidia Nyiranani, describes how weaving sisal baskets has affected her craftsmanship and provided her with an outlet for her everyday worries and stress. "My favorite basket to weave is a sisal and sweet grass basket in the design that means hope. Baskets give me hope and this kind is my favorite. My friend Priscilla taught me how to weave, since I didn't know as a girl, and weaving is something I love... It helps me clear my head of many thoughts and I can really focus on the basket after I begin."
I’m very happy with my purchase. I was looking for a nice box or basket to hold my makeup and other face products. It had to be a certain dimension and look good since it’d be displayed on my dresser. After double checking the dimensions, I went ahead and ordered a bread basket in Ivy & Blush! And I’m very happy with it. The colors are quite vibrant and the basket itself is tall enough to hold all my items. I love looking at it every day and it’s even more of a delight to get ready every day.