HANDMADE IN GHANA
Say hello to the cutest birdhouses you’ve ever seen!
Sit back, relax, and enjoy seeing the birds come flocking to your yard or porch area!
Their natural, fresh and fun look will add a globally conscious and effortless look. These pieces were made by artisans in small cooperatives across rural areas of Ghana in an ethical, fair trade environment. They weave elephant grass by hand to create these beautiful pieces.
- Approximately 4.7” W x 12” H
- Fair Trade
- Made in Ghana
- Products are made from all natural fibers of elephant grass
- Organic dyes are used to dye the elephant grass
- Profiled weaver tag is attached to each product
*All products are made by hand with love and vary slightly in color, shape, and size.
Made of the highest quality natural fibers in an ethical, fair trade environment. These beautiful birdhouses were handmade by groups of artisans in intimate communities throughout the Bolgatanga region of Ghana.
- If necessary, use a damp cloth to wipe or spot clean.
- Avoid using chemicals or detergents.
- To clean or to re-shape, simply wet it with cool water, shape it as needed, and allow it to air dry
Sun and fading
- To avoid natural fading, keep dyed products out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.
- All natural products with little or no coloring do well in direct sunlight.
Meaning & Purpose
The material used for weaving in Bolgatanga is elephant grass, which is only available in the southern part of Ghana. The grasses are harvested and dried, a process that can take up to three days. It is then tied together in big bundles and transported to the Bolga markets, where most of our weavers buy their raw materials. The straw grass is then further processed before weaving: straw is split then rolled and twisted for texture and dyed to give it a vibrant color before weaving begins.